When you have decided to have a home built, the next step is to find a home builder to do the job. Selecting the right professionals to work with on your home building project is essential to its success. To help you choose, here are five questions to ask home builders to make sure you have the right fit and communication is effective during the building process.
- What kind of warranty do you offer, and what is and is not covered? This is an important question to have the answer to up front. It will help define the warranty parameters and inform you of the coverage. Get the answer in writing and make sure it is included in your contract with the builder.
- Do you finance the construction or do I need to secure a construction loan? Many builders will finance the construction loan and then your financing institution will pay them when you apply for the home loan once construction is complete. Not all builders do this though, so it is important to discuss this up front to know how financing is done and whether you need to secure a construction loan for the project.
- When do I need to have decisions made about the types of flooring, paint, cabinets, and lighting? The more prepared you are ahead of time, the better the builder can help you choose the products that are within your budget and keep the progress of the build from being delayed.
- What are the homeowners association rules and regulations? Each homeowners association (HOA) has its own Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CCRs) and bylaws. Make sure you have a copy of these so you can review them. HOAs may have restrictions on parking, sheds, or solar panels, and penalties for violations.
- What procedures do you have in place to handle delays or change orders? Changes to plans are not uncommon, and delays happen. Find out how your builder manages these so you have a clear plan for what to expect if changes or delays occur during the building process.